12 April, 2007

Pot Calls Kettle White: Race Relations, Don Imus, Jesse Jackson and Mr. S. Dog

I understand from some of my enlightened friends who are more sensitive to American culture and history that my own perception of the race-relations in the US is wanting. Note that I don't think it's wanting; otherwise I'd change my mind.

I'm really surprised, to be honest, that there's been so much backlash against the Imus comments. Not that I think they were okay, but really, they were par for the course in his work: he makes horrible comments about everybody, Hillary Clinton in particular, which personally offend me . . . as a human being.

However, why is it that when he says something about African Americans, suddenly, the gloves are off and he needs to resign? Moreover, why are people not calling for the resignation of the CEOs of record companies who produce the most atrocious and vile descriptions of black women and others?

Witness the following outrageous comment by the guy with the ridiculous name: "Snoop Dog" or whatever on earth it is. Apparently Mr. Dog was asked about the comparison between his own voluminous toxic vitriol and the cranky comments made by Imus. MTV then transmitted his response:

"It's a completely different scenario . . . [Rappers] are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing shit, that's trying to get a nigga for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them mutha-----as say we in the same league as him." (This quote comes from here.)

From my perspective, people like Jesse Jackson legitimate this kind of cancerous attitude by ignoring it on the one hand and on the other hand by going after every (specifically) white person who steps across the perceived line. I simply don’t buy as a socially acceptable reality that it’s okay for Mr. Dog to abuse women because he’s a black man. The irony is, Mr. Dog is a hero to many (obviously unfortunate) young people and his lack of apology for being so misogynistic actually validates his perspective among his followers and fans, whereas at least Imus has publicly apologized.

It doesn’t matter whether we “think” Imus means it or not, it’s a social gesture to apologize publicly and it reinforces, publicly (!), that we as a society do not approve of such behavior. Yet by contrast we publicly accept Mr. Dog’s anti-social behavior. I think the bigger part of the guilt here should be laid at the feet of the self-appointed media-hungry leaders of the African Americans, people like Jesse Jackson. The reason: because they’re in the best position to do something about it, but they don’t. In fact, when a real Black leader, Bill Cosby, attempted to address this very problem, he was criticized as some kind of Uncle Tom by Jesse Jackson, et al. WORSE, Jackson is a self-proclaimed Christian!

So what is Imus really guilty of? He’s guilty of saying a lot of bad things about a lot of people. But up until now, no one really cared what he said or about whom. So why now? Because he said it about some black women. But then so does Mr. Dog. So what’s the difference? Imus is white.

Sounds like a real red-neck cliché, “guilty for being white,” I know. But tell me, if a black man can make a filthy rich living by uttering the most profane things about black women and not be censured, and a white man calls some black women “nappy headed ’ho’s” and is publicly humiliated and protested against, I have to assume it’s because he is white. And tell me, when the Black man’s rationale is “well, the women I call ‘hos’ are ‘hos’” clearly we are a LONG way from anything approaching a reasonable treatment of Imus.

If Jackson weren’t so racist himself (that’s what it’s called when you attack another person because of his race, as did Imus), and protested against ALL such unjust and anti-social behavior (specifically including that committed by such intensely ego-centric black heroes as Mr. Dog, and P something and Phat someone, et al.), then I’d be right behind him, supporting him all the way.

For now, though, it seems to me that this is a situation in which a few people who smelled weakness and saw a chance to promote themselves went after it with all the ferocity they could mount in order to prop themselves up in the estimation of those whose adulation they crave. This in itself is anti-social behavior (just ask Hitler how it worked for him).

If I’m wrong here, help me understand.

15 comments:

Brad said...

The question that completely baffles me is why & how Imus gets the audience of politicians, as though he has ever been an intelligent satirist with a cogent and incisive view on culture. As far as I can tell, he achieves neither.

His greatest offense is against comedy.

Saint Jamie said...

Now that's funny.

Unknown said...

That Imus' parody was so harshly received points to the very reason why it could be effective parody and why such a thing is needed (if it was, in fact, that).

The best angle to come at this (as is always the case) demands proper consideration of context. Imus was contrasting the Rutgers squad to the Tennessee squad which was similarly laden with African Americans (70%). This means that his comments were, at best/worst, cultural criticism. There are plenty of blatant racists in the media to scourge, why Imus?

At any rate, here is a url for a video that you should definately try to watch. It has to do with the way violent sexual hierarchy is portrayed in and institutionalized by media like pro wrestling. Very interesting (and disturbing!).

http://www.mediaed.org/videos/MediaGenderAndDiversity/WrestlingWithManhood

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDXcfzA848

I found this as well, which sums up much of what the film tries to address.

Anonymous said...

A small correction, as Mr. Dogg says in his many melodious, poetic songs his last name is spelled "D-O-Double-G".

Saint Jamie said...

I'll resist demanding that he spell properly and assume "Dogg" is actually a trade moniker. What this reveals to me is that he is more conscious that he is marketing himself as a product than he claims. I doubt very much whether he is anything less than a ruthless business man who exploits poor black people for a living.

Mr. Dogg is more "white" than those of us who resist such exploitation. Noting that "white" in Black theory is a reference to the exploiter and "black" the reference to the exploited and marginalized. (Hence why Jesus is said to be "black".)

So fancy that, turns out, Mr Dogg is a white man.

What out for whitey.

Brad said...

Although I basically agree w/ your point here. I do have a significant quibble w/ your sense of racism as being 'when you attack another person because of his race'. It seems to lack a little nuance -- which is a little surprising coming from you.(Though I should note, again, that I don't think this pertains to the matter at hand. Just throwing it out.)

It's not so much that your definition is wrong -- because the spirit of it is probably accurate. But the violence of racism must also be related to power -- otherwise, there are scores of slave rebellions, in America and beyond, built around their own 'reverse racism', which just seems problematically simplistic to me. I find Foucault in his History of Sexuality (I think vol. 2) very persuasive in this regard, when his presentation of racism is almost indistinguishable -- when extrapolated -- from a kind of nationalism, and its inherent violence.

I'm not going to ramble on further about this. After all, I have my own blog One day I might finally return to writing about real issues.

Saint Jamie said...

Oh sure, I agree.

I'm just offering a brief explanation (the most obvious explanation) that by definition racism is doing something to someone specifically because of race. I think the historical dynamic has been the assumption of power, etc. Even on these terms, though, I see Jackson and Sharpton as no less power grabbers than anyone else.

Brad said...

Perhaps. But I think there is something of a difference -- not sure what (help me out here, Troy!) -- between 'power grabbers' and the 'powerful'. The rhetoric of Jackson and Sharpton seems too desperate to have any real power -- except that power imparted by the real power, in this case CBS Radio.

Saint Jamie said...

You make a good point with that distinction. I still think that Jackson and Sharpton have real institutional power, though. But I concede that it's not same as inherited power.

Interestingly, I recently learned that Imus began his career as a drug crazed alcohol soaked hippy shock jock. He was "against the system, man!" A man on the margins.

But through careful strategizing he became one of Time Magazine's most influential people. Thus making the transition from the disenfranchised to owning the franchise. I dare say Jackson and Sharpton have similar journeys (albeit from different and more hazardous margins).

ttjackson@yahoo.com said...

finally somebody recognizes my institutional power!
Dr. Jackson

ttjackson@yahoo.com said...

Racism: prejudice plus power. Not a perfect definition, but the best I've heard.
My take? What I'm calling "collective catharsis." Because US society has not dealt with race, and have latent guilt over our own racism and cultural baggage around race, we love to pile on when somebody makes a racist comment. Piling on has become the preferred form of repentance in the United States. We atone by villifying current and overt perpetrators of racism, sexism, or homophobic attitudes (see Tim Hardaway controversy).

Nick Ulrich said...

Here is a take from an African-American sports columnist who writes for the Kansas City Star. I tend to very much agree with him, and his points are similar to Jamie's. http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html/

Life So Far.... said...

Jamie, I agree with you. And I think icons like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have to find stuff to justify their icon status. Unfortunately, they come off as caricatures now.

Life So Far.... said...

Nick the eloquent: thanks for the Kansas City Star link. It was great to read. In fact, I sent it to Oprah. She had the Rutger's team on this week, and made pointed remarks about how Imus' comment ruined their season. Bullshit. Whitlock makes a great point.