31 March, 2007

No Religion Without Truth: Why Stanley Fish is not just plain wrong but insidiously wrong

In this copy of the article from Today's New York Times, uber-academic Stanley Fish
proposes that we can't teach religion while bracketing the truth claims therein.

The proposal is a reaction to an up-coming cover story (2 April, 2007) in Time Magazine that proposes we should teach religion in schools. The number one fear, of course, is indoctrination, etc., (not that there's any of that in our schools already!).

Fish seems to suggest that because you can't separate from religion its truth claims, you can't study a religion in any meaningful way without subscribing to its truth claims. I seriously doubt this.

For one thing, as a professor at a college where the major for every one of our college students is Biblical Studies (CCU), I do not believe that studying a religion or its teachings, even in the most tendentious of environments, means you'll end up subscribing to its truth claims!

For a second point: I grew up in one of the world's most secular nations, Australia, and yet throughout my years in Primary and Secondary school we all had to study a religion and attend "religious instruction" each week. Moreover, instead of being a benign presentation of, for me, the Christian religion, it was ONLY taught by priests or pastors of actual churches, and not the proposed but questionable sterile objectivity suggested by the Time Magazine piece. In other words, the instructors really wanted you to believe this stuff and made no pretenses to the contrary. But by the time I was in grade 12, I was one of three (3) seniors who would have made any claim to having a faith of some kind.

Quite in line with the above point, anyone who has lived in Britain will testify to the fact that the more educated a person is, the more likely he/she will have a well developed sense of the content of the Bible and at the same time the less likely to make any claims about belief in that content.

So for me, it is entirely possible and indeed common for people to study religion and bracket its truth claims. I'm a firm proponent of just such a study in US schools because, among other things, Christian discourse is the foundational discourse of Western society (with or without a faith). As a Westerner, I care less for the study of Eastern religions (Islam, Buddhism, etc.), but as someone who wants a better tomorrow for the West, I think it's vital.

But, not to let Fish off the hook that easily, we have to ask why on earth he would come up with such a claim?

Let's just note that the reason Fish wants to tie into an inseparable knot the study of religion and the acceptance of its truth claims is because he wants to mask his own preferences under the guise of an elevated view of religion.

That is, if he proposes a high view of religion (can't study it without the truth element), then he seemingly doesn't offend religions types, while seeming to objectively interact with the proposal of whether as a society we should study religion more seriously.

This offends me as a rational person and annoys me as a confessional Christian. It reminds me of when I first started teaching at CCU and I took a call from a newspaper about whether I thought a degree at such a school would be as legitimate as it would be at a secular institution. My response was that in many ways it was more legitimate because we're more honest. (I know that sounds crazy, but hang in there.)

I said that I believed we were more honest because we communicate to people our ideological assumptions and our world-view right up front. We wear it on our sleeves and we declare it publicly without shame. The standard secular institution makes claims to be objective and postures itself as rigorously attentive to truth, but everywhere tolerates a secret shame: the fact there is a whole slew of ideological interests on the part of the faculty.

That is, the realities of ideological leanings are openly confessed at a religious institution, but the SAME realities of ideological leanings are classically denied at secular institutions; thus making the secular institution, to invoke Nietzsche, a classically "insidious" one.

Of course, I'm not saying that one is academically better than the other, far from it, I'm simply pointing out how each relates it's understanding of truth to its discourse about truth. And I'm doing this because Fish's article is an instance of the insidious kind . . . what's worse is that I think he must know that.

Whew . . . I got all the way through and only made one horribly predictable pun on the word "Fish."

12 comments:

Brad said...

You actually pay for the New York Times' Select service?

I'm going to wait for this to get syndicated.

Brad said...

Or, better yet .... go here

Saint Jamie said...

Ah, I didn't realize that this would be a restricted article. We get the Sunday NYT and it comes with all the other stuff.

Brad said...

In theory, I don't have a problem with the Christian religion or Bible being taught in public schools. The only problem is that so many public school systems even foul up the study of biology. This makes me incredibly wary of their attempts at religion.

Saint Jamie said...

I think it's the difference between doing something because it is good and not doing something good because it can be abused. It's in the nature of good things to be abused. Freedom, for example.

Brad said...

Well, I think there is a HUGE difference in kind at work there. Public education teaching Christianity is not necessarily, in my mind, a good thing. That is to say, it can be made a good thing. But there are certainly good reasons not to do so as well.

Saint Jamie said...

Not sure there is a difference in kind. Nonetheless, while I can imagine some potential downsides to teaching religion in school, none of these appear to me to be in any way a cause of concern over and against the overall benefit.

But I'm sure you have a few up your sleeve, so we're keen to hear them.

Brad said...

Not a lot of time just yet to respond w/ the potential negatives -- the short version is that I think the reality of the situation poses far more fundamental problems than teaching Christianity is worth. I'd much rather see attention given to subjects already being taught poorly, when they are taught at all.

As for the pedantic point about the difference in kind:

Freedom is an abstract concept, whereas the teaching of Christianity in public school is not. That, in itself, is an enormous difference in kind.
Freedom is also worth really fighting for, versus the teaching of Christianity in public school. Freedom is also the philosophical basis for modern subjectivity, whereas the teaching of Christianity in public school, I don't think, is. Freedom has been the fundamental cipher for ideologies ranging from capitalism to communism, whereas the pros & cons of teaching Christianity in publich school (in contemporary America) has mostly been the hobby horse issue of all manner of conservative & liberal idealogue.

Brad said...

Okay ... let me first say before I get blasted that I overstated my 'short point' in that last comment. I don't suppose there is a 'fundamental' problem to teaching Christianity in public school. I doubt I could substantiate that. I will maintain, at best, my leeriness toward the practice. Most of my reasons for this stance are practical.

(1) I don't think you could get away with focusing exclusively on Christianity. I agree with Jamie's point about the crucial relation of Christianity to western history & culture; but this kind of pedagogical exclusivism only survives in our pluralistic age as a kind of Platonic ideal. Far more likely, I think, to include sections on Christianity in classes like Civics (high schools still teach that, right?), Social Studies, & History. Since Jamie brings it up, I think the example of Britain is exemplary here. When I was doing some teaching on the side for the Scottish school system, they went to great lengths to make sure that there were potential courses on all the 'major' religious traditions. Which, of course, prompted some to wonder why some of the minor religions, such as, such various 'return to the earth' Celtic paganisms, were not included.

(2) There is the question of which Christianity will be taught? The loathsome 'common sense' version? The (in my view equally loathsome) 'victorious' view of of western culture? That of the secular academy? That of the confessional academy -- if so, which confession? Knowing America & American history like I do, the geographical majority of the country will lean toward an interpretation of Christianity as conservative as their interpretation of history. With history, a kind of conservatism is potentially quite helpful -- you'll get your bare-bone data anyway. If that's all we're shooting for w/ a class on Christianity, bare-bone data, I really don't see the point.

(3) I suppose it is at this point I might actually be closer to Fish on this point (a first for me!) than I am Jamie, but thinking about religion as a kind of sociological phenomenon and object of study, rather than something that one either one believes (if not its letter than its spirit) or that provokes action, really rubs me v. wrong. Of course, there is a place for the sociological-critical view of religion & its cultural influence, and I will concede that perhaps this place is in high school. Though I'm still not sure about a specific program or course of study. Not sure .... but also not willing to say it's an outright impossibility. Just a proposition so dicey that we might want to reevaluate our options and aspirations. (Not unlike the hopeful possibilities that undergird the installation of a benevolent dictator.)

Nick Ulrich said...

If I may make a blanket statement that really has no place in this discussion. Teaching religion (not just Christianity) has more potential benefit than not teaching it because religion has always been a driving factor in human society.

If for no other reason than historical significance, teach students religion in the name of a truly liberal education. All the better if one were some how able to incorporate traditional grammar, usage, and other language arts into a religion course for high school students.

Brad said...

I might very well be on board with that. The study of 'religion', its grammar and concept is always beneficial -- oh for the days of Don Tingle at CCU!

Le vent fripon said...

Hi, nice response to the article. I understood Fish differently. It seems to me that he doesn't want the Bible taught as if everything in the book were true. He simply means that the Bible must be taught as a text whose framework claims that it is true. The Bible makes truth claims. It is non-fiction, whether a word of it is true or not. Fiction, by contrast, doesn't make the same kind of truth claims, whether the statements it contains are true or false.

Fish left the article provocatively ambiguous (which I personally find a bit dishonest). The fact that he is an intelligent person lead me to believe that he simply can't mean that we need to teach the nation's school kids that the Bible is true.